Wednesday, January 26, 2011

An Alternative Ball for Big Dogs

Those of us with giant breed dogs are often nervous around tennis balls. If you have been in newf circles for long, you will have heard of the friend's friend whose dog choked on a regular-sized tennis ball. While the prospect seems remote, I offer this story.

When Poppy was about 6 months old, I was defrosting some rather large chicken breasts. She is well-mannered and doesn't counter surf, but I cannot say the same for the cat. The cat knocked the chicken breast to the floor, and Poppy snapped it up. It happened so quickly, I wasn't sure she actually had anything. My husband proved she did, indeed she had an entire chicken breast, about 4x6, in her mouth. She closed her mouth around it, and there was no evidence! Had we not looked, we never would have known.


Based upon that incident, I resolved that she would not play with regular-sized balls. Luckily, I found Tuff Ball. Not only is the ball stronger than a regular tennis ball, it is also larger. And at around $4.00, it is very reasonably-priced. She really loves hers.


T.

No comments:

Post a Comment